Manager breaks silence on Newcastle United January transfer talk – ‘I count on him’

Newcastle United latest news: A possible recall for Matt Targett could be on the cards when the January transfer window opens.

Middlesbrough manager Kim Hellberg has opened up about the possibility of Newcastle United recalling defender Matt Targett from his loan spell at the Riverside Stadium.

Target has enjoyed a very good loan spell on Teesside since leaving St James’ Park in the summer. He was a regular under Rob Edwards and has also been picked by Hellberg, Edwards’ replacement, in recent weeks.

After a tough few years on Tyneside as injury issues stopped him becoming a regular under Eddie Howe, getting minutes under his belt in a Championship promotion chasing team has been a very good move for Targett and one that could see him win a contract with Boro come the end of the season once his deal at Newcastle United comes to an end.

However, injury issues at his parent club could force the Magpies into a rethink and the possibility of recalling him from his loan spell has not been taken off the table. Speaking after Wednesday night’s win over Fulham, one that ended with Howe having just two fit senior defenders to call on, confirmed that the club are assessing all options with regards to Targett and a possible recall.

“Yeah, we’ll make that decision closer to the date where we have to,” Howe said. “But certainly, at the moment, I don’t have many more rabbits to pull out of the hat, to be honest [in defensive options]. We’re in dangerous territory, so, let’s see.”

Middlesbrough manager responds to Newcastle United transfer talk

After grabbing an assist on his debut for Boro against Sheffield United back in August, he supported that with a goal during their 2-2 draw with Preston North End a week later. He has since added another goal to his collection, against Derby County last month, as his impressive run in the team continues.

Newcastle United do have a recall clause in Targett’s contract that they can trigger in the upcoming January transfer window. However, the new man in the Middlesbrough dugout isn’t too concerned about losing the 30-year-old.

“I count on him being here and that’s all I know on that question. I’m trying not to think about losing him,” Hellberg said.

“What I can tell you is that when he’s played, he’s been very, very good. He’s been top with his movement, top with the ball. He’s a very intelligent player with a brilliant left foot so he’s been fantastic.

“And he also showed that he could play centre-back. That was brilliant from him, so he’s been terrific. He’s a very nice guy.

“I would say it’s looking the same to me. When I talk to him, when I look at him, I see him play, when I see him with the boys, when I see him on the pitch, he looks like he enjoys his time here.”

Newcastle United were able to welcome back Lewis Hall to their squad on Saturday for their clash against Chelsea, but will remain without Dan Burn, Tino Livramento, Kieran Trippier and Emil Krafth until 2026.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *